You’re probably reading this because you’re suffering from depression, anxiety, an anger problem, an addiction, a recent loss, or difficulties in your marriage. Or perhaps you’re just simply overwhelmed with the pressures of life. Whatever caused you to land here: Welcome! I’m a licensed therapist (in both Colorado and Illinois) with a doctorate in counseling and over 25 years of experience in counseling Christians, spiritual seekers, and troubled teens. From my location up here in the Rocky Mountains, I provide counseling from my Canon City, CO office not only to local residents, but also online or over the phone for Illinois residents and those in Colorado who prefer online and phone counseling services. Although I specialize in counseling Christians, I have a big heart for all hurting people. No one is turned away from my counseling services based on sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religious or political worldview.
Most of the people I help suffer from one or more of the following:
- A history of trauma, abuse, betrayal and severe neglect.
- A difficult marriage, relationship, or job.
- A recent or tragic loss.
- The daily torment of intrusive and unwanted thoughts, often with an unfruitful self-image.
- A life-robbing, mind-numbing addiction.
- A psychiatric condition in which medication has offered only limited relief.
ARE WE A GOOD MATCH?
Choosing the right therapist can be one of the most important decisions you make in your life. This website is designed to help you make that decision wisely. At this website you’ll find:
- My qualifications, published work, specializations.
- Answers to my most frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- A detailed description of my Christian counseling approach with an informative article I wrote for my students and colleagues on Transformational Prayer Ministry (TPM) a Christ-centered treatment for healing traumatic memories.
- An open statement of my Christian faith.
- A brief description of my personal and family life.
THE ABIDE IN ME (AIM) METHOD
My life mission is to glorify God by helping His people abide in Christ (John 15:4) until they experience love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) as the daily norm under any set of circumstances, no matter how painful or difficult (James 1:2). In order to fulfill this mission, I’ve developed the AIM (Abide in Me) Method to clinical counseling.
In a nutshell, the AIM Method integrates three things:
- Sound Christian theology. This is reflected in my statement of beliefs (just click to view)
- Sound psychology. Sound psychology is psychology that is evidence-based with 21st century state of the art therapy, as reflected in my post-doctorate training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT);
- Bible-based, Christ-centered, Spirit-led counseling skills that I have developed over time and practice with my several decades of professional counseling experience.
In the AIM Method, you will learn how to “practice God’s presence” around the clock in your most difficult hardships and darkest hours, until anger, depression, and anxiety are replaced by love, joy, peace and other “fruit of the Spirit” as described in Galatians 5:22-23. In addition to the therapy hour, you will receive at no extra cost:
- A free PDF copy my soon-to-be-published book called “Abide and Abound”;
- Optional homework consisting of time-tested tools for you to practice in between sessions, which have proved to help hundreds of other clients;
- Free psychoplogical testing at my suggestion or your request to track your progress over time.
The results of the AIM Method are proven by the “fruit” in three ways:
1) Clients report that they are experiencing love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit as the daily norm, even if they experience no change whatsoever in their difficult circumstances and hardships.
2) Clients continue to report love, joy, and peace as the norm over time as they encounter new challenges and trials.
3) The results of psychological testing (provided at no charge) show an absence of clinical levels of severity for depression, anxiety and anger for at least six consecutive weeks.
Over the last 15 years or so, the AIM Method has helped not only many of my clients, but also students and clergy in Christian colleges where I have taught, and those who have attended my “Abide and Abound” weekend spiritual retreats.
MY TYPICAL CLIENTS
My clients typically fall into the following categories:
- Bible-believing Christians who suffer from clinically high levels of anger, depression, and anxiety but yearn to experience love, joy, and peace and other “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22-23) as the daily norm.
- Couples in crisis who have difficulty experiencing the fruit of the Spirit in their marriages.
- Children and teens with behavioral problems and emotional distress, often referred by their Christian parents wanting therapy that’s consistent with their Christian faith, values and worldview.
- Curious “spiritual seekers” who want a therapist specialized in the integration of spirituality and psychology to help them meet their aspirations and gain a sense of life direction and meaning in their lives.
- Musicians, writers, actors and other artists. As a musician, I have recently expanded my specialties to include helping other artists work through their psychological obstacles to employing their creative gifts for (in the words of J.S. Bach) “the glorification of God and the recreation of the human spirit.”
HOW DO I SET MY FIRST APPOINTMENT?
- Before you call my office to set an appointment, please review my “Abide in Me” (AIM) Approach (just click those red letters to link you up with information).
- After reviewing my approach, if you think we’re a good match, just call 815-980-2449 day or night to request an appointment. If I’m not available just leave a message and I’ll promptly return your call.
- Select your appointment time. My hours are Monday-Wednesday at 3:15 PM, 4:30 PM, 6:15 PM and 7:30 PM (Remember: that’s Mountain Time). Note: Sessions are one hour and start on time.
- Select HOW your want my counseling services delivered. You have three options:
- ONLINE TELE-THERAPY through an encrypted telehealth video app which meets HIPPA-compliant confidentiality standards.
- PHONE COUNSELING.
- IN-PERSON OFFICE VISITS in my Canon City, Colorado office.
- Before your first appointment, I must have some PAPERWORK fully completed that you will find at the bottom of this page:
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page,
- Click each PDF document.
- Fill each document out COMPLETELY
- Then bring the entire set of completed documents to my office at your first session or email them to me ([email protected]).
- If you can’t email them to me, do NOT send them by text. Just MAIL them to my address (1705 Coral Drive, Canon City, CO 81212).
HOW LONG DOES THIS APPROACH TO THERAPY TAKE?
- We typically meet weekly for intensive work in the first 6 weeks or so. Most clients make good progress within 6-12 weeks if they 1) Attend and fully engage in their weekly sessions 2) Read the written materials I provide (at no extra change), and 3) Practice time-tested tools that I have developed for clients to use in between sessions.
- Then, after you make good progress, typucally after 6-12 sessions, we meet every 2 weeks or so until love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit become the daily norm.
- Finally, after six consecutive weeks of love, joy, peace reported as the daily norm, even under difficult trials and circumstances, we meet every 4-8 weeks.
- After that I’m accessible for “tune-up” sessions as needed.
WHAT ABOUT PAYMENT?
- As a doctorate-level therapist with over 25 years of experience and more advanced training than most clinicians, please expect my fee to be higher than most therapists.
- My current fee is $225 per hour BUT I never turn away any client who is highly motivated to receive my services. So if you can’t afford my fee you may request a SLIDING FEE.
- To request a SLIDING FEE, see the Services & Fees page (just click the red letters) and be prepared to answer a few questions when you call me about your income.
- Payments must be received BEFORE the start of each session.
- Payments are accepted in three ways:
- Check (my preferred way of payment, made out to Dr. Scott Lownsdale).
- Credit card (with a 5% surcharge).
- HSA card (with a 5% surcharge).
WHAT IF I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE?
- First, please know that my services would be called “OUT-OF-NETWORK” because I choose NOT to be part of any insurance company’s panel of providers or so-called “preferred providers”.
- If you want to know if my services are covered on your insurance plan, just call the phone number on the back of your insurance card. Then ask the insurance representative to answer each of the questions regarding your coverage on the INSURANCE INFORMATION FORM at the bottom of this page.
- If my services are covered, I will require the completed insurance form and a copy of BOTH the front and the back of your insurance card.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any question that has been unanswered so far, please see my FAQ PAGE or just call my office: 815-980-2449. Congratulations on your decision to seek Christian counseling! May God richly bless you on your journey.
Dr. Scott Lownsdale, Ed. D. (“Dr. Scott”)
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
“MY MISSION is to glorify God by helping His people ABIDE in CHRIST until LOVE, JOY, PEACE and other fruit of the Spirit become the NORM under ANY set of conditions.” – Dr. Scott Lownsdale