You’re probably reading this because you’re suffering from depression, anxiety, an anger problem, an addiction, a loss, or difficulties in your marriage. Or perhaps you’re just simply overwhelmed with the pressures of life.
Whatever caused you to land here: welcome!
I’m here to walk right alongside you during this season in your life until you are out of this valley and living your life on a higher plane than you perhaps you have ever imagined.
Although I specialize in counseling Christians, I have a big heart for all hurting people. No one is turned away from my counseling services based on sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religious or political worldview.
ARE WE A GOOD MATCH?
Choosing the right therapist can be one of the most important decisions you ever make in your life. This website is designed to help you make that decision wisely. At this website you’ll find:
- My qualifications, published work, specializations.
- Answers to my most frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- A detailed description of my Christian counseling approach with an informative article I wrote for my students and colleagues on Transformational Prayer Ministry (TPM) a Christ-centered treatment for healing traumatic memories.
- An open statement of my Christian faith.
- A brief description of my personal and family life.
WHO I AM
I am a licensed therapist with a doctorate in counseling and over 20 years of experience in counseling Christians, spiritual seekers, and troubled teens. My mission in life is to glorify God by helping His people abide in Christ (John 15:4) until they experience love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) as the daily norm under any set of circumstances, no matter how painful or difficult (James 1:2).
WHAT I DO
In order to fulfill this mission, I’ve developed the AIM (Abide in Me) Method to clinical counseling. The AIM Method weaves my training in the latest developments in 21st century psychology with Jesus’ three words ABIDE IN ME (John 15:4). The results of the AIM Method are proven only by the “fruit”: love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) as the daily norm, even when stressors and hardships have not changed. In a nutshell, the AIM Method integrates sound Christian theology with sound psychology in which the results are proven empirically in three ways:
- Love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit are self-reported by clients as the daily norm even under “diverse trials” (James 1:2).
- Psychological testing (offered free to my clients on request) yields an absence of clinical severity of anger, depression, and anxiety.
- Clients self-reports enjoying much greater intimacy with God and satisfaction in their relationship with Him by learning how to practice His presence, that is, abide in Christ around the clock, and especially in their most difficult hardships and darkest hours.
Over the last 15 years or so, the AIM Method has helped not only many of my clients, but also students in the Christian colleges where I have taught, as well as those who have attended my “Abide and Abound” weekend spiritual retreats.
MY TYPICAL CLIENTS
Most of the people I help suffer from one or more of the following:
- A history of trauma, abuse, betrayal and severe neglect.
- A difficult marriage, relationship, or job.
- A recent loss.
- The daily torment of intrusive and unwanted thoughts, often with an unfruitful self-image.
- A life-robbing, mind-numbing addiction.
- A psychiatric condition in which medication has offered only limited relief.
My clients typically fall into the following five categories:
- Bible-believing Christians who suffer from clinically high levels of anger, depression, and anxiety but yearn to experience love, joy, and peace and other “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22-23) as the daily norm.
- Couples in crisis who have difficulty experiencing the fruit of the Spirit in their marriages.
- Clergy, healthcare providers, police, firefighters, and others on the “front lines” needing support and counsel under very challenging and at often traumatizing conditions.
- Children and teens with behavioral problems and emotional distress, often referred by their Christian parents wanting therapy that’s consistent with their Christian faith, values and worldview.
- Curious “spiritual seekers” who want a therapist specialized in the integration of spirituality and psychology to help them meet their aspirations and gain a sense of life direction and meaning in their lives.
HOW TO SET YOUR FIRST APPOINTMENT
- Before you call my office to set an appointment, please learn as much as you can about my “Abide in Me” (AIM) Approach (just click those red letters to link you up with information).
- After reviewing my approach, if you think we’re a good match, just call 815-980-2449 day or night to request an appointment. If I’m not available just leave a message and I’ll promptly return your call.
- Let me know what time you prefer for appointments: Monday-Wednesday at 3:15 PM, 4:30 PM, 6:15 PM and 7:30 PM (Remember: that’s Mountain Time). Sessions are one hour and start on time. We typically meet weekly for the first 6 weeks or so. After excellent progress, we’ll meet every 2 weeks or so. Then, after love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit become the daily norm, we’ll meet for “maintenance” visits every 3-4 weeks or so. After that I can be accessible to you as needed.
- Let me know HOW your want my counseling services delivered. You have three options:
- ONLINE TELE-THERAPY through an encrypted telehealth video app which meets HIPPA-compliant confidentiality standards.
- PHONE COUNSELING.
- IN-PERSON OFFICE VISITS in my Canon City, Colorado office.
- Before your first appointment, I must have paperwork fully completed:
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page, click each PDF document, and fill them out completely.
- Send the entire set of completed forms to me by email ([email protected]) or mail them to my address (1705 Coral Drive, Canon City, CO 81212).
WHAT ABOUT PAYMENT?
As a doctorate-level therapist with 20 years of experience and more advanced training in my specialties than most clinicians, please expect my fee to be higher than most therapists (please call my office ask for my current fee). However, if you can’t afford my fee, you may request a SLIDING FEE. Just click the Services & Fees page on this website and be prepared to answer s few questions about your income to see if you qualify for the sliding fee.
- Payments are accepted by checks made out to Dr. Scott Lownsdale, but I also accept credit card, HSA card, or PayPal payments with a 3% surcharge.
- If you have health insurance: just call the phone number on the back of your insurance card, and ask the insurance representative to answer each of the questions regarding your coverage on the Insurance Information Form at the bottom of this page. After I’ve received the completed Insurance Information Form (with copies of both of the front and the back of your insurance card) we can discuss payments and how claims would be submitted.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any question that has been unanswered so far, please see my FAQ PAGE or just call my office: 815-980-2449. Congratulations on your decision to seek Christian counseling! May God richly bless you on your journey.
Dr. Scott Lownsdale, Ed. D. (“Dr. Scott”)
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
“MY MISSION is to glorify God by helping His people ABIDE in CHRIST until LOVE, JOY, PEACE and other fruit of the Spirit become the NORM under ANY set of conditions.” – Dr. Scott Lownsdale