You’re probably reading this because you’re suffering from depression, anxiety, an anger problem, an addiction, a recent loss, or difficulties in your marriage. Or perhaps you’re just simply overwhelmed with the pressures of life. Whatever caused you to land here: Welcome! I’m a licensed therapist (in both Colorado and Illinois) with a doctorate in counseling and over 25 years of experience in counseling Christians, spiritual seekers, and troubled teens. From my location up here in the Rocky Mountains, I provide counseling from my Canon City, CO office not only to local residents, but also online or over the phone to Illinois residents. Although I specialize in counseling Christians, I have a big heart for all hurting people. No one is turned away from my counseling services based on sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religious or political worldview.
Most of the people I help suffer from one or more of the following:
- A history of trauma, abuse, betrayal and severe neglect.
- A difficult marriage, relationship, or job.
- A recent or tragic loss.
- The daily torment of intrusive and unwanted thoughts, often with an unfruitful self-image.
- A life-robbing, mind-numbing addiction.
- A psychiatric condition in which medication has offered only limited relief.
ARE WE A GOOD MATCH?
Choosing the right therapist can be one of the most important decisions you make in your life. This website is designed to help you make that decision wisely. At this website you’ll find:
- My qualifications, published work, specializations.
- Answers to my most frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- A detailed description of my Christian counseling approach with an informative article I wrote for my students and colleagues on Transformational Prayer Ministry (TPM) a Christ-centered treatment for healing traumatic memories.
- An open statement of my Christian faith.
- A brief description of my personal and family life.
THE ABIDE IN ME (AIM) METHOD
My life mission is to glorify God by helping His people abide in Christ (John 15:4) until they experience love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) as the daily norm under any set of circumstances, no matter how painful or difficult (James 1:2). In order to fulfill this mission, I’ve developed the AIM (Abide in Me) Method to clinical counseling.
In a nutshell, the AIM Method integrates sound Christian theology with sound psychology: namely, evidence-based, 21st century science. Over the years my counseling practice has enjoyed much success weaving Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) — both of which I have received post-doctoral training — with my Bible-based, Christ-centered, Spirit-led counseling skills.
In the AIM Method, you will learn how to “practice God’s presence” around the clock in your most difficult hardships and darkest hours, until anger, depression, and anxiety are replaced by love, joy, peace and other “fruit of the Spirit” described in Galatians 5:22-23. In addition to the therapy hour, you will receive written materials and time-tested tools to and practice in between sessions.
HOW IS THE AIM METHOD PROVEN TO WORK?
The results of the AIM Method are proven by the “fruit”: love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit as the daily norm, even when there is no change in your difficulties and hardships. Over the last 15 years or so, the AIM Method has helped not only many of my clients, but also students and clergy in Christian colleges where I have taught, and those who have attended my “Abide and Abound” weekend spiritual retreats.
MY TYPICAL CLIENTS
My clients typically fall into the following categories:
- Bible-believing Christians who suffer from clinically high levels of anger, depression, and anxiety but yearn to experience love, joy, and peace and other “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22-23) as the daily norm.
- Couples in crisis who have difficulty experiencing the fruit of the Spirit in their marriages.
- Children and teens with behavioral problems and emotional distress, often referred by their Christian parents wanting therapy that’s consistent with their Christian faith, values and worldview.
- Curious “spiritual seekers” who want a therapist specialized in the integration of spirituality and psychology to help them meet their aspirations and gain a sense of life direction and meaning in their lives.
- Musicians, writers, actors and other artists who want to work through their psychological obstacles to employing their creative gifts for “the glorification of God and the recreation of the human spirit” (J. S. Bach).
HOW DO I SET MY FIRST APPOINTMENT?
- Before you call my office to set an appointment, please review my “Abide in Me” (AIM) Approach (just click those red letters to link you up with information).
- After reviewing my approach, if you think we’re a good match, just call 815-980-2449 day or night to request an appointment. If I’m not available just leave a message and I’ll promptly return your call.
- Select your appointment time. My hours are Monday-Wednesday at 3:15 PM, 4:30 PM, 6:15 PM and 7:30 PM (Remember: that’s Mountain Time).
- Note: Sessions are one hour and start on time.
- We typically meet weekly for the first 6 weeks or so.
- Then, after you make good progress, we meet every 2 weeks or so until love, joy, peace and other fruit of the Spirit become the daily norm. After that I’m accessible as needed.
- Select HOW your want my counseling services delivered. You have three options:
- ONLINE TELE-THERAPY through an encrypted telehealth video app which meets HIPPA-compliant confidentiality standards.
- PHONE COUNSELING.
- IN-PERSON OFFICE VISITS in my Canon City, Colorado office.
- Before your first appointment, I must have paperwork fully completed:
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page, click each PDF document.
- Fill them out completely.
- Send the entire set of completed forms to me by email ([email protected]) or mail them to my address (1705 Coral Drive, Canon City, CO 81212).
WHAT ABOUT PAYMENT?
- As a doctorate-level therapist with over 25 years of experience and more advanced training than most clinicians, please expect my fee to be higher than most therapists.
- My current fee is $225 per hour BUT I never turn away any client who is highly motivated to receive my services. So if you can’t afford my fee you may request a SLIDING FEE.
- To request a SLIDING FEE, see the Services & Fees page (just click the red letters) and be prepared to answer a few questions when you call me about your income.
- Payments are accepted before the start of each session in three ways:
- Check (my preferred way of payment, made out to Dr. Scott Lownsdale).
- Credit card or HSA card (with a 5% surcharge).
- PayPal (with a 5% surcharge).
WHAT IF I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE?
To find out if your insurance covers my services:
- Just call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and ask the insurance representative to answer each of the questions regarding your coverage on the Insurance Information Form at the bottom of this page.
- If my services are covered, I will require, in addition to the completed insurance form, a copy of both the front and the back of your insurance card.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any question that has been unanswered so far, please see my FAQ PAGE or just call my office: 815-980-2449. Congratulations on your decision to seek Christian counseling! May God richly bless you on your journey.
Dr. Scott Lownsdale, Ed. D. (“Dr. Scott”)
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
“MY MISSION is to glorify God by helping His people ABIDE in CHRIST until LOVE, JOY, PEACE and other fruit of the Spirit become the NORM under ANY set of conditions.” – Dr. Scott Lownsdale